Everything you want to know about flash fiction and more in our packed weekend timetable. Opportunities to learn new skills, write short short fiction and hear great flash writers read.
Friday 20th July Afternoon/Evening
1.00 pm onwards
Check-in for those who have booked accommodation at the venue.
4.00 pm onwards
Bring your own picnic to eat in the grounds.
5.00 pm onwards
Registration for workshops open.
5.00 pm – 11.00 pm
7.30 pm onwards
Open Mic/Readings from 2018 National Flash Fiction Day Anthology.
Saturday 21st July
9.00 am – 10.00 am
Free-write warm up: Visual prompts/written prompts to inspire you in Lecture Rooms, One, Two and Three.
9.30 am – 10.45 pm
- Registration for workshops.
- Book shop open in Dalton Room.
- Coffee/tea in Dining Room.
10.45 am – 11.15 am
Welcome and introduction to workshop facilitators. Dining Room.
11.20 am – 12.50 pm
Workshop Session One. One and a half hours.
- ‘Submitting Your Flashes’ with Ashley Chantler and Peter Blair (max 40) Lecture Room One.
- Nuala 0’Connor ‘Historical Flash Fiction’ (max 20) Lecture Room Two.
- ‘Prose Poetry’ with Carrie Etter (max 25) Lecture Room Three.
- ‘Writing Characters of Colour in Fiction’ with Haleh Agar (max 12) Clifton Room One.
- ‘How to Write a Hybrid Narrative’ with Laurie Stone (max 10) Clifton Room Two.
- ‘Weird and Wonderful’ with Vanessa Gebbie (max 15) HMH Room.
1.00 pm – 2.00 pm
Lunch. Bar open.
2.10 pm – 3.40 pm
Workshop Session Two. One and a half hours.
- Speculative Fiction with Calum Kerr, ‘Short and Weird’ (max 20) Lecture Room One.
- ‘Writing Funny Fiction’ with Meg Pokrass and Jude Higgins (max 20) Lecture Room Three.
- ‘Sculpting Master Class’ with Nancy Stohlman (max 20) HMH Room.
- ‘Sawn-off Tales’ with David Gaffney (max 12) Clifton Room One.
- ‘Make it Sing.’ Finding your Voice in Flash Fiction’ with K M Elkes (max 12) Clifton Room Two.
3.45 pm – 4.15 pm
4.30 pm – 5.00 pm
Flashes of Inspiration – half an hour sessions for insight and ideas.
- Flashpoint South Africa with Peter Blair (max 20) HMH Room.
- Prose Poetry and Flash Fiction with Carrie Etter and Michael Loveday (max 20) Lecture Room Three.
- Historical Flash Fiction with Ingrid Jendzrejewski and Nuala 0’Connor (max 20) Clifton Room One.
- Flash Ideas with Tim Stevenson (max 40) Lecture Room One.
- Conversation with David Gaffney, with Ashley Chantler (max 20) Front Lounge.
- How Does Smokelong Quarterly work? With Christopher Allen (max 20) Lecture Room Two.
5.00 pm – 11.00 pm
5.15 pm – 6.15 pm
Dining Room: Five minute Flash Ficton readings from workshop presenters Laurie Stone, John Brantingham, Grant Hier, Christopher Allen,Carrie Etter, Haleh Agar, K M Elkes,Tim Stevenson, Ingrid Jendzrejewski plus mini book launch — Vanessa Gebbie will read from her new collection, Nothing to Worry About (ten mins).
6.15 pm – 6.45 pm
Book shop open.
6.45 pm – 7.45 pm
8.00 pm – 9.00 pm
Readings from Funny Bone: Flashing for Comic Relief in the Dining Room. Introduced by the publishers, Peter Blair and Ashley Chantler. Readers will include the contributors: Sarah-Clare Conlon, David Gaffney, Vanessa Gebbie, Calum Kerr, Michael Loveday, Nuala O’Connor, Meg Pokrass, and Nancy Stohlman.
9.15 pm – 9.45 pm
Book shop open for half an hour.
9.15 pm onwards
Open mic. Socialising inside and out.
Sunday 22nd July
9.00 am – 10.00 am
Early-Riser workshops and activities.
- Dreams into Fiction workshop with Jude Higgins (max 12) Clifton Room.
- Competitive Flashing with Ingrid Jendzrejewski (max 60) Lecture Room One.
- Free-write time with prompts in Lecture Rooms Two and Three.
10.15 am – 10.45 am
Tea. Dining room.
11.00 am – 12.30 pm
Workshops, one and a half hours.
- ‘Experimental Fiction’ with Santino Prinzi (max 12) Lecture Room Three.
- ‘Extraordinary Points of View’ =with John Brantingham and Grant Hier (max 40) Lecture Room One.
- ‘Building a Collection’ with Nancy Stohlman Talk and Q & A. (max 20) HMH Room.
- ‘The Novella in Flash’ with Meg Pokrass and Jude Higgins (max 20) Front Lounge.
- ‘Do you have something to Say?’ – finding the story you want to write with Christopher Allen. (max 20) Lecture Room Two.
12.30 pm – 2.00 pm
Lunch. Bar Open.
2.00 pm – 3.15 pm
Showcase/launches in the Dining Room.
- V Press showcase/book launch. Introduction from publisher Sarah Leavesley plus readings from V Press authors.
- Launch of Bath Flash Fiction Novella-in-Flash winners. Introduction from Meg Pokrass and Jude Higgins plus readings from Novellas.
- Launch of the new flash fiction collection from Meg Pokrass.
3.20 pm – 4.00 pm
Tea. Book shop open.
4.00 pm – 4.30 pm
Raffle draw, competition winner announcement, goodbyes.
Please Note: As with any large event, this programme maybe subject to alteration.