To take you through the Autumn and Winter, we have The Great Festival Throw Down! Five more online flash fiction festival days sponsored by Bath Flash Fiction Award and Ad Hoc Fiction, filled with fun and flash fiction!
The new monthly writing challenge is inspired by the reality TV show The Great Pottery Throw Down. Amateur potters are given challenges to create different items from clay. The show is renowned for one of the judges, Keith Brymer-Jones, who is often moved to tears by the contestants’ works of art.
For our flash festival ‘Throw-Down’, a different judge each month will offer one writing challenge inspired by the famous painting pictured on one of the artists’ mugs above. They will be looking for colourful stories that have emotional resonance. Stories that move them in different ways. The winner each month receives £30, a free entry to Bath Flash Fiction Award, a book from Ad Hoc Fiction, publication in the fifth festival anthology and the mug that inspired their story!
Come and join us on Zoom on Saturdays: October 30th, November 27th, January 8th, February 26th and March 26th to write flash fiction, learn more about the form from great teachers from around the world, meet other enthusiasts, and have fun.
Our festival days are open to international flashers from 11.00 am – 6.30 pm GMT. If you can’t make the whole day, we record all the events and send videos of them afterwards. We have lots on offer throughout the five days:
- A ‘Throw Down’ writing challenge from a different judge each month;
- several hour or one and a half hour workshops with renowned international flash fiction writers and teachers;
- Hermit crab hangouts – writing flash fiction stories using templates from other forms of writing;
- at least two half-hour mini workshops per month;
- A focus on new collections of flash fictions;
- Three reading slots each month with four worldwide authors reading themed flash fictions in each slot;
- Yoga stretches for writers;
- Three break-out rooms each month to chat to flash fiction friends and to make new ones;
- An opportunity to submit flash fictions begun during any of the days to the fifth Flash Fiction Festival Anthology to be pubished by Ad Hoc Fiction. All contributors receive a free copy of the book.
Kathy Fish; Meg Pokrass; Jeff Friedmann; Nancy Stohlman; Christopher Allen; Pamela Painter; Tommy Dean; Michael Loveday; John Brantingham; Susmita Bhattacharya; Ingrid Jendzrejewski; Sudha Balagopal; Matt Kendrick; Jude Higgins; Electra Rhodes; Hannah Storm; Sage Tyrtle; Lorette Luzajic; Farhana Shaikh; Alison Woodhouse; Sara Hills; Sharon Telfer; Judy Darley.
Throw Down Judges
October Diane Simmons
November Sara Hills
January Karen Jones and Electra Rhodes
February Sage Tyrtle
March Susmita Bhattacharya .