“Flash Fiction is the cupcake of Literature”
Nancy Stohlman, Smokelong Quarterly interview.
Instead of a face-to-face festival this year, we have The Great Festival Flash Off! Inspired by the popular TV show, The Great British Bake Off and Nancy Stohlman’s fun definition of flash fiction, above.
Come and join flash fiction friends for six days of festival fun and flash on Zoom. One Saturday a month: March 27th; April 24th; May 29th; June 26th (also National Flash Fiction Day in the UK); July 31st; August 28th.
Plus an evening of readings from the competition winners and the announcement of the winners of winners from all six competition days in September, 2021. Date to be arranged.
Enter the Flash-Off writing challenges – three each month, set by different judge duo with monthly prizes for each challenge and a Winner of Winner Awards at the end of the six days series. Plus a bonus ‘cupcake micro’ prize. Find out details about the contest and the prizes here.
Ad Hoc Fiction will publish an anthology of the winning and shortlisted entries from each of the six days; winning and shortlisted entries to the ‘Cupcake’ micro contest and stories submitted by participants which were prompted by any of the monthly festival workshops. All contributors to the anthology will receive a free paperback copy, posted worldwide. The anthology will also be available to buy from Amazon Worldwide on Kindle and in paperback formats.
Our festival days will be open to international flashers from 11.00 am GMT to 8.00 pm GMT on March 27th and the same times BST on all the other days. Come along to:
- try out the three Flash-Off challenges from a new judge-duo each month and begin to write your competition flashfictions;
- participate in a one and a half hour workshop from a renowned international flash fiction writer and teacher;
- a Dreams into Fiction, workshop series;
- a monthly half hour focus on aspects of short-short fiction;
- Flash addicts – writer guests explain how the addiction took hold;
- FLash legends – legendary writers from the world of flash fiction read stories and talk about the earlier days of flash;
- have coffee, lunch and teatime chats with flash fiction friends from around the world;
- read and listen to others read at an evening hour of open mic.
Kathy Fish in March, Meg Pokrass in April, Tania Hershman in May,
Nancy Stohlman in June, Christopher Allen in July and Michael Loveday in August.
Plus extra mini workshops/panels over the six days led by:
Jude Higgins; Charmaine Wilkerson; Matt Kendrick; Susmita Bhattacharya; Farhana Shaikh; Deb Tomkins; Carrie-Jade Williams; Emily Devane and Sharon Telfer.
March, Diane Simmons and Robert Barrett; April, Karen Jones and Tim Craig;
May, Helen Rye and K M Elkes; June, Alison Woodhouse and Damhnait Monaghan;
July, Jeanette Sheppard and Matt Kendrick; August, Ingrid Jendrzejewski and Neil Clark.